One Precious Day at a Time

Yesterday morning, I walked into Chungnam National University Hospital carrying the weight of the past few months with me. A few hours later, I walked out feeling lighter.

It was another important step in my cancer journey. I had a cystoscopy and then met with my urologist to talk about what comes next. I have to admit, the cystoscopy was one of the stranger experiences of my life. Cancer has introduced me to more medical procedures than I ever expected to experience, and this was certainly another one to add to the list. 

But what mattered most was what the examination showed: there was no evidence that the cancer had returned.

My urologist wants me to come back in three months for another cystoscopy. So this journey is not completely over. There will be follow-up appointments and continued monitoring. That is part of my life now, and I accept it. But yesterday was a good day—a very good day. When I think back over the past few months, it sometimes seems remarkable how much has happened in such a short time. There was the diagnosis, surgery, recovery, weeks of immunotherapy, discomfort and fatigue, and the uncertainty of not knowing exactly what the future might bring. Yet somewhere in the middle of all of that, something else was happening.

I was changing.

Cancer made me look at my life differently. Things I once barely noticed began to feel important. Ordinary moments became something I wanted to hold onto a little longer. During my recovery, I began walking along the river early in the morning. At first, those walks were simply about getting stronger. I wanted my body back. I wanted to feel healthy again. I wanted to know that my legs could still carry me a few more kilometers every morning. But gradually, those walks became something more.

They became part of my healing.

I began noticing the sky before sunrise. I watched clouds catch the first light of morning. I noticed birds along the water, reflections moving across the river, and trees slowly changing as summer gave way to autumn. I had probably walked past scenes like these countless times before. Now I stop and look. Cancer has taught me that there is an enormous difference between simply being alive and truly noticing that you are alive.

These days, I notice. And I am grateful.

I am grateful for my morning coffee. Grateful that my legs can carry me along the river. Grateful for music. Grateful for the people in my life. Grateful for the woman I love. Grateful for another day to teach, write, walk, make plans, and look forward to tomorrow. Most of all, I am grateful for today.

Before cancer, it was easy to think mostly about what was coming next—the next weekend, the next trip, the next project, the next season. There always seemed to be plenty of time. Now I understand the value of an ordinary day: a cup of coffee before sunrise, a familiar piece of music, a cool autumn morning, a conversation with someone you love, a walk beside a river. None of these things seem small to me anymore.

They are life.

My cancer journey has not made me afraid of living. If anything, it has made me want to live more fully. I still make plans. I still look forward to tomorrow. I still have places I want to see, stories I want to write, walks I want to take, and memories I want to make. But I understand something now that I did not understand quite as deeply before: while it is good to look forward to tomorrow, today deserves my attention too.

Three months from now, I will return to the hospital for another cystoscopy. When that day comes, I will face it. I will walk through those hospital doors again and take whatever comes one step at a time. But I do not need to live that day yet. Today, I can simply be grateful—grateful for the results of yesterday’s examination, grateful for how far I have come, grateful for the people who have walked beside me, and grateful that I can keep moving forward.

When morning comes, I will do something that has become one of the most meaningful parts of my recovery. I will make my coffee, put on my walking shoes, and head back to the river while the city is still waking up. The sun will rise. Autumn will continue changing the trees. The river will keep flowing.

And I will keep walking.

One step at a time, one morning at a time, one precious day at a time.


하루하루, 소중한 하루를 살아가며

어제 아침, 나는 지난 몇 달의 무게를 마음에 안은 채 충남대학교병원으로 들어갔다. 그리고 몇 시간이 지난 뒤, 훨씬 가벼워진 마음으로 병원을 나왔다.

어제는 내 암 치료와 회복 과정에서 또 하나의 중요한 날이었다. 방광경 검사를 받았고, 그 후 비뇨의학과 담당 의사를 만나 앞으로의 계획에 대해 이야기를 나누었다. 솔직히 말하면 방광경 검사는 내 인생에서 꽤 낯설고 신기한 경험 중 하나였다. 암을 겪으면서 내가 평생 경험할 거라고는 생각하지 못했던 여러 의료 절차들을 겪게 되었는데, 이번 검사도 그 목록에 하나 더 추가된 셈이다. 하지만 가장 중요했던 것은 검사 결과였다. 암이 다시 나타났다는 증거는 없었다.

담당 의사는 3개월 후에 다시 방광경 검사를 받으러 오라고 했다. 그러니 이 여정이 완전히 끝난 것은 아니다. 앞으로도 정기적인 검사와 경과 관찰이 계속될 것이다. 이제 그것 역시 내 삶의 한 부분이라는 것을 알고 있고, 받아들이고 있다. 그래도 어제는 좋은 날이었다. 아주 좋은 날이었다. 지난 몇 달을 돌아보면 짧은 시간 안에 정말 많은 일이 있었다는 사실이 새삼 놀랍다. 진단을 받고, 수술을 하고, 회복을 거치고, 몇 주 동안 면역치료를 받았다. 불편함과 피로도 있었고, 앞으로 어떤 일이 기다리고 있을지 모르는 불확실함도 있었다. 그런데 그 모든 과정 속에서 또 다른 변화가 일어나고 있었다.

내가 변하고 있었다.

암은 내 삶을 바라보는 방식을 바꾸어 놓았다. 예전에는 별생각 없이 지나쳤던 것들이 중요하게 느껴지기 시작했다. 평범한 순간들을 조금 더 오래 붙잡고 싶어졌다. 회복을 시작하면서 나는 이른 아침 강변을 걷기 시작했다. 처음에는 그저 다시 건강해지고 싶어서 걸었다. 몸의 힘을 되찾고 싶었고, 다시 건강하다는 느낌을 갖고 싶었다. 내 두 다리가 매일 아침 몇 킬로미터를 더 걸어줄 수 있다는 것을 확인하고 싶었다. 하지만 시간이 지나면서 그 산책은 단순한 운동 이상의 것이 되었다.

그것은 내 치유의 한 부분이 되었다.

나는 해가 뜨기 전 하늘을 바라보기 시작했다. 아침의 첫 빛을 받아 물드는 구름을 보았고, 물가에 조용히 서 있는 새들을 바라보았다. 강물 위에서 흔들리는 반사된 빛과 여름이 가고 가을이 찾아오면서 조금씩 색을 바꾸는 나무들도 눈에 들어오기 시작했다. 아마 예전에도 이런 풍경을 수없이 지나쳤을 것이다. 하지만 이제는 멈춰서 바라본다. 암을 겪으며 나는 단순히 살아 있는 것과, 내가 살아 있다는 사실을 깊이 느끼며 살아가는 것 사이에는 아주 큰 차이가 있다는 것을 배웠다.

요즘 나는 더 많이 바라본다. 그리고 더 많이 감사한다.

아침에 마시는 커피 한 잔이 감사하다. 내 두 다리가 나를 강변까지 데려다줄 수 있다는 것이 감사하다. 음악이 감사하다. 내 삶 속의 사람들이 감사하다. 내가 사랑하는 사람이 감사하다. 또 하루를 살아가며 가르치고, 글을 쓰고, 걷고, 계획을 세우고, 내일을 기대할 수 있다는 것이 감사하다. 무엇보다 오늘이라는 하루가 감사하다.

암을 겪기 전에는 늘 다음을 생각하기 쉬웠다. 다음 주말, 다음 여행, 다음 프로젝트, 다음 계절. 시간은 언제나 충분할 것처럼 느껴졌다. 하지만 이제는 평범한 하루의 가치를 안다. 해 뜨기 전 마시는 커피 한 잔, 익숙한 음악 한 곡, 선선한 가을 아침, 사랑하는 사람과 나누는 대화, 강변을 걷는 시간. 이제 이런 것들은 내게 더 이상 작은 일들이 아니다.

그것들이 바로 삶이다.

암을 겪었다고 해서 삶이 두려워진 것은 아니다. 오히려 더 충실하게 살아가고 싶어졌다. 나는 여전히 계획을 세운다. 여전히 내일을 기대한다. 아직 가보고 싶은 곳이 있고, 쓰고 싶은 이야기가 있고, 걷고 싶은 길이 있고, 만들고 싶은 추억이 있다. 하지만 이제는 예전보다 더 깊이 이해하게 된 것이 하나 있다. 내일을 기대하는 것도 중요하지만, 오늘 역시 온전히 바라볼 가치가 있다는 것이다.

3개월 후, 나는 다시 병원으로 가서 방광경 검사를 받을 것이다. 그날이 오면 나는 다시 그 병원 문을 들어설 것이고, 그때 필요한 일을 한 걸음씩 해나갈 것이다. 하지만 아직 그날을 미리 살아갈 필요는 없다. 오늘은 그저 감사하면 된다. 어제의 검사 결과에 감사하고, 내가 여기까지 온 것에 감사하고, 내 곁을 함께 걸어준 사람들에게 감사하고, 앞으로도 계속 나아갈 수 있다는 사실에 감사하면 된다.

다시 아침이 오면, 나는 내 회복 과정에서 가장 의미 있는 습관 중 하나가 된 일을 할 것이다. 커피를 마시고, 운동화를 신고, 도시가 아직 잠에서 깨어나는 시간에 다시 강변으로 나갈 것이다. 해는 떠오를 것이고, 가을은 계속 나무의 색을 바꿀 것이며, 강물은 계속 흘러갈 것이다.

그리고 나도 계속 걸어갈 것이다.

한 걸음씩, 한 아침씩, 하루하루 소중한 하루를 살아가며.

Comments

Popular Posts