Returning to an Old Friend: Changdeokgung After Twenty Years


Recently, I returned to Changdeokgung for the first time in more than twenty years.

My first visit was in 1992, only a little more than a year after I had arrived in Korea. At the time, almost everything around me still felt new—the language, the streets, the buses, the food, the neighborhoods, and the rhythms of everyday life.

Changdeokgung was part of that early discovery of Korea.

It would be another ten years before I returned.

By then, my relationship with Korea had changed. I was no longer simply a newcomer trying to understand the country around me. I was writing about Korea, and when I visited Changdeokgung again, it was for a travel article for The Korea Times. I was fortunate enough to have a private VIP tour of the palace and Biwon, the Secret Garden.

The palace was experienced very differently in those days. Visitors couldn't simply enter and wander through the grounds at their own pace. Admission was at designated times, and people moved through the palace in guided groups along an established route.

For me, however, the guided tour was largely a formality that allowed me access to several locations where I could take photographs for the article.

This time, more than twenty years later, I was free to wander.

I could stop when I wanted, linger in a courtyard, look up at a tiled roof against the sky, or simply stand quietly for a few moments.

One of the most noticeable differences was the crowds. Tourists filled the palace grounds, many dressed in hanbok and posing for photographs. I have mixed feelings about the growing popularity of wearing hanbok as part of a visitor's Korean experience, but that is a subject for another time.

As I walked, however, I found myself thinking less about the history of the palace and more about the passage of time.

So much has changed since that first visit in 1992.

Seoul has changed enormously. It no longer has quite the same diamond-in-the-rough allure that first captivated me. Neighborhoods I once knew have been transformed. Buildings have disappeared. Skylines have risen. The way we travel, communicate, work, shop, and experience the city has changed almost beyond recognition.

And I have changed too.

Returning to Changdeokgung felt like meeting an old friend after a very long absence.

At first, you notice what is different. Then something familiar catches your eye—a stone pathway, a wooden doorway, the curve of a tiled roof—and suddenly the years between seem much shorter.

It also felt like returning to an old neighborhood. You remember how it once looked, but you also remember who you were when you knew it.

In 1992, I was still discovering Korea. Ten years later, I was writing about it.

And now, more than three decades after that first visit, I was simply walking through a place that had quietly become part of my own history here.

When I visited Changdeokgung as a travel writer, I was looking for a story.

This time, I wasn't looking for one. I was remembering one.

My own.

There are places that stay with us even when we stay away from them for years. They remain quietly in the background, holding memories we may not even realize we have kept.

Then one day we return.

A familiar roofline appears against the sky. A stone path bends the way we remember. A courtyard opens before us, and for a moment the distance between then and now seems to disappear.

Walking through Changdeokgung again, I could almost feel those earlier versions of myself still there—the young man discovering Korea in 1992, the writer returning a decade later, and the person I have become after more than three decades of living here.


The palace had endured through all those years.

So had the memories.

And as I walked back through its gates, Changdeokgung no longer felt like a place I had returned to after twenty years.

It felt like a place that had been quietly waiting for me.


최근 나는 20여 년 만에 다시 창덕궁을 찾았다.

내가 처음 창덕궁을 방문한 것은 1992년이었다. 한국에 온 지 겨우 1년이 조금 넘었을 때였다. 그 당시 내 주변의 거의 모든 것이 여전히 새롭게 느껴졌다. 언어도, 거리도, 버스도, 음식도, 동네도, 그리고 사람들의 일상적인 삶의 리듬도 모두 낯설고 새로웠다.

창덕궁 역시 내가 한국을 처음 알아가던 그 시절의 한 부분이었다.

그리고 다시 이곳을 찾기까지는 또 10년이라는 시간이 흘렀다.

그때쯤에는 한국과 나의 관계도 많이 달라져 있었다. 나는 더 이상 주변의 나라를 이해하려 애쓰는 낯선 이방인만은 아니었다. 나는 한국에 관한 글을 쓰고 있었고, 다시 창덕궁을 찾았던 것도 *코리아 타임스(The Korea Times)*에 실릴 여행 기사를 쓰기 위해서였다. 운 좋게도 당시 나는 창덕궁과 비원, 지금의 후원을 둘러보는 비공개 VIP 투어를 할 수 있었다.

그 시절에는 궁궐을 관람하는 방식도 지금과는 많이 달랐다. 방문객들은 마음대로 들어가 자신의 속도에 맞춰 궁 안을 돌아다닐 수 없었다. 정해진 시간에 입장해야 했고, 정해진 동선을 따라 안내를 받으며 단체로 이동했다.

하지만 나에게 그 안내 투어는 기사를 위한 사진을 찍기 위해 여러 장소에 들어갈 수 있게 해주는 일종의 형식적인 절차에 가까웠다.

그리고 이번에는, 20여 년이 훌쩍 지난 뒤, 나는 자유롭게 궁궐 안을 걸을 수 있었다.

원할 때 멈출 수 있었고, 한 뜰에 오래 머물 수도 있었다. 하늘을 배경으로 기와지붕을 올려다보거나, 그저 몇 분 동안 조용히 서 있을 수도 있었다.

가장 눈에 띄는 변화 중 하나는 사람들의 수였다. 궁궐 안은 관광객들로 가득했고, 그중 많은 사람들이 한복을 입고 사진을 찍고 있었다. 한국을 방문하는 경험의 한 부분으로 한복을 입는 일이 점점 더 인기를 얻는 것에 대해서는 나도 여러 가지 생각이 있지만, 그것은 또 다른 글에서 이야기할 주제일 것이다.

하지만 궁궐을 걷는 동안 나는 점점 궁의 역사보다도 시간의 흐름에 대해 더 많이 생각하게 되었다.

1992년에 처음 이곳을 찾았던 이후 정말 많은 것이 변했다.

서울은 엄청나게 변했다. 처음 나를 사로잡았던, 아직 다듬어지지 않은 보석 같은 매력은 이제 예전만큼 느껴지지 않는다. 내가 알던 동네들은 완전히 달라졌다. 건물들은 사라졌고, 새로운 스카이라인이 솟아올랐다. 우리가 여행하고, 소통하고, 일하고, 쇼핑하고, 도시를 경험하는 방식은 거의 알아보기 힘들 정도로 달라졌다.

그리고 나 역시 변했다.

다시 창덕궁을 찾는 일은 오랫동안 만나지 못했던 옛 친구를 다시 만나는 것과 같았다.

처음에는 달라진 것들이 눈에 들어온다. 그러다 어느 순간 돌길 하나, 나무로 된 문 하나, 기와지붕의 곡선처럼 익숙한 무언가가 눈에 들어온다. 그러면 그 사이에 흘러간 세월이 갑자기 그리 길지 않게 느껴진다.

오래전에 살던 동네를 다시 찾아간 느낌이기도 했다. 그곳이 예전에 어떻게 생겼는지를 기억하는 동시에, 그곳을 알고 지내던 당시의 내가 어떤 사람이었는지도 함께 떠오른다.

1992년의 나는 여전히 한국을 발견해 가고 있었다. 10년 뒤의 나는 한국에 대해 글을 쓰고 있었다.

그리고 처음 방문한 지 30년도 훨씬 지난 지금, 나는 그저 오랜 세월 동안 조용히 내 한국 생활의 일부가 되어버린 한 장소를 걷고 있었다.

여행 작가로 창덕궁을 찾았을 때, 나는 이야기를 찾고 있었다.

이번에는 이야기를 찾고 있지 않았다.

나는 하나의 이야기를 기억하고 있었다.

나 자신의 이야기였다.

우리가 오랫동안 다시 찾지 않아도 마음속에 남아 있는 장소들이 있다. 그런 곳들은 우리가 간직하고 있다는 사실조차 깨닫지 못한 기억들을 품은 채 조용히 삶의 배경에 남아 있다.

그러다 어느 날 우리는 다시 그곳으로 돌아간다.

익숙한 지붕선이 하늘을 배경으로 나타난다. 돌길은 기억 속에서처럼 휘어져 있고, 뜰 하나가 눈앞에 펼쳐진다. 그리고 잠시 동안 과거와 현재 사이의 거리가 사라지는 듯한 느낌이 든다.

다시 창덕궁을 걷는 동안, 나는 마치 예전의 나 자신들이 아직도 그곳 어딘가에 남아 있는 것처럼 느낄 수 있었다. 1992년 한국을 처음 알아가던 젊은 나, 10년 뒤 다시 돌아온 작가로서의 나, 그리고 30년 넘게 이곳에서 살아온 지금의 나.

그 모든 세월 동안 궁궐은 그 자리에 남아 있었다.

기억도 마찬가지였다.

그리고 다시 궁의 문을 나서며, 창덕궁은 더 이상 내가 20년 만에 돌아온 장소처럼 느껴지지 않았다.

오히려 그 긴 시간 동안 조용히 나를 기다리고 있었던 장소처럼 느껴졌다.

Comments

Popular Posts