What Comes Next

This morning, I return to the hospital.

There is something different about going back this time. A couple of months ago, the hospital represented uncertainty—tests, surgery, treatment, and questions I could not yet answer. Today, I am going back to find out what comes next. Part of that next step will be a cystoscopy, either today or sometime in the near future, so the doctors can look inside my bladder and see how everything is healing and how well the treatment has worked.

But I am not approaching this visit with the same fear I might have felt before. I feel remarkably calm.

The past couple of months have changed me in ways I am still beginning to understand. Cancer has a way of suddenly dividing life into a before and an after. Before, it was easy to assume there would always be another morning, another walk, another weekend, another autumn. Then, almost overnight, things I had taken for granted became precious.

I went through surgery. I went through weeks of immunotherapy. There were treatments, discomfort, fatigue, and plenty of uncertainty about what might come next. Recovery was not one dramatic moment when everything suddenly became normal again. It happened slowly—in small steps, ordinary mornings, and quiet victories.

Somewhere along the way, my early morning walks became part of that recovery. I began walking along the river while the city was still waking up. At first, I suppose I was walking because I wanted to become stronger again. But eventually I realized that something else was happening. I was learning how to see.

I noticed clouds catching the first light of morning, birds standing silently along the water, trees beginning to change with the season, reflections trembling on the river, and sunlight appearing behind hills and apartment buildings. Mornings like the one in this photograph have taken on a much deeper meaning for me now. There is something about watching darkness slowly give way to light that feels different after everything I have been through.

I don’t look at a sunrise quite the same way anymore. It reminds me that life does not have to be perfect to be beautiful. There can still be uncertainty on the horizon and extraordinary light in the sky.

That may be the greatest change cancer has brought into my life. I am more aware of being alive.

I am grateful for my morning coffee. Grateful that my legs can carry me along the river. Grateful for music. Grateful for the people in my life. Grateful for the woman I love. Grateful for another day to teach, write, walk, laugh, make plans, and look forward to tomorrow.

Cancer is still part of my life. I know that. Today’s hospital visit is a reminder that recovery also means continuing to check my progress and taking things one step at a time. I cannot know exactly what the doctors will tell me today or what the next stage of recovery will look like. What I can control is how I meet this morning.

And I meet it peacefully.

I am not walking into the hospital thinking only about cancer. I am walking in thinking about life—about how precious it is, how beautiful an ordinary October morning can be, and how much I still want to see, experience, write about, and love.

A few months ago, I was wondering what was going to happen to me. Today, I find myself thinking differently.

Whatever comes next, I will meet it when it comes.

For now, the sun is rising.

And I am here to see it.


앞으로 무엇이 기다리고 있을까

오늘 아침, 나는 다시 병원으로 향한다.

이번에는 병원으로 돌아가는 마음이 예전과 조금 다르다. 몇 달 전만 해도 병원은 불확실함을 의미했다. 검사와 수술, 치료, 그리고 아직 답을 알 수 없는 수많은 질문들이 있었다. 하지만 오늘은 앞으로 무엇이 기다리고 있는지 알아보기 위해 병원으로 간다. 다음 단계에는 방광경 검사가 포함될 것이다. 오늘 받을 수도 있고, 가까운 시일 안에 받을 수도 있다. 의사들은 방광 안을 직접 살펴보며 회복이 어떻게 진행되고 있는지, 그리고 지금까지의 치료가 얼마나 효과가 있었는지 확인하게 될 것이다.

하지만 예전 같았으면 느꼈을 두려움은 지금 내 안에 없다. 오히려 놀랄 만큼 차분하고 평온하다.

지난 몇 달은 내가 아직도 다 이해하지 못할 만큼 나를 많이 바꾸어 놓았다. 암은 어느 순간 삶을 ‘그전’과 ‘그후’로 나누어 놓는 것 같다. 예전에는 또 다른 아침이 당연히 올 것이라고 생각했다. 또 산책할 날이 있을 것이고, 또 주말이 올 것이며, 또 다른 가을이 찾아올 것이라고 믿었다. 그런데 어느 날 갑자기, 너무나 당연하게 여겼던 것들이 얼마나 소중한 것이었는지 깨닫게 되었다.

나는 수술을 받았고, 몇 주 동안 면역치료를 받았다. 치료 과정에는 불편함과 피로가 있었고, 앞으로 무엇이 기다리고 있을지 알 수 없는 시간도 있었다. 회복은 어느 날 갑자기 모든 것이 정상으로 돌아오는 극적인 순간이 아니었다. 작은 한 걸음 한 걸음, 평범한 아침들, 그리고 조용한 성취들이 쌓이면서 천천히 이루어졌다.

그러는 동안 이른 아침 강변을 걷는 일이 내 회복의 한 부분이 되었다. 도시가 아직 완전히 깨어나기 전, 나는 강을 따라 걷기 시작했다. 처음에는 그저 몸을 다시 강하게 만들고 싶어서 걷는다고 생각했다. 하지만 시간이 지나면서 그보다 더 깊은 무언가가 일어나고 있다는 것을 깨달았다.

나는 다시 보는 법을 배우고 있었다.

아침의 첫 햇살을 받아 빛나는 구름, 물가에 조용히 서 있는 새들, 계절을 따라 변해가는 나무들, 강물 위에서 흔들리는 빛, 언덕과 아파트 사이로 모습을 드러내는 햇살이 눈에 들어오기 시작했다. 이 사진 속 아침처럼, 이제 이런 순간들은 내게 전과는 전혀 다른 의미로 다가온다. 어둠이 서서히 물러가고 빛이 찾아오는 모습을 바라보는 일은 내가 겪어온 모든 일 이후 훨씬 더 깊게 느껴진다.

이제 나는 일출을 예전과 같은 눈으로 바라보지 않는다. 삶이 완벽하지 않아도 충분히 아름다울 수 있다는 것을 일출은 내게 일깨워준다. 지평선 너머에 여전히 불확실함이 남아 있어도, 하늘에는 놀라운 빛이 펼쳐질 수 있다.

어쩌면 그것이 암이 내 삶에 가져다준 가장 큰 변화인지도 모른다. 나는 살아 있다는 사실을 이전보다 훨씬 더 깊이 느끼게 되었다.

아침에 마시는 커피 한 잔이 감사하다. 내 두 다리로 강변을 걸을 수 있다는 것이 감사하다. 음악이 감사하다. 내 삶 속에 함께하는 사람들이 감사하다. 내가 사랑하는 사람이 곁에 있다는 것이 감사하다. 그리고 또 하루를 살아가며 가르치고, 글을 쓰고, 걷고, 웃고, 계획을 세우고, 내일을 기다릴 수 있다는 것이 감사하다.

암은 여전히 내 삶의 한 부분이다. 그것을 알고 있다. 오늘 다시 병원을 찾는 일은 회복이라는 것이 내 상태를 계속 확인하고, 한 걸음씩 앞으로 나아가는 과정이라는 것을 다시 한번 일깨워준다. 오늘 의사에게 어떤 말을 듣게 될지, 앞으로의 회복 과정이 어떤 모습이 될지는 아직 알 수 없다. 하지만 나는 그것을 어떤 마음으로 받아들이고 싶은지는 알고 있다.

평온한 마음으로, 그리고 긍정적인 마음으로.

나는 암만을 생각하며 병원으로 들어가는 것이 아니다. 나는 삶을 생각하며 병원으로 간다. 삶이 얼마나 소중한지, 평범한 10월의 아침이 얼마나 아름다울 수 있는지, 그리고 앞으로도 얼마나 많은 것을 보고, 경험하고, 글로 남기고, 사랑하며 살아가고 싶은지를 생각한다.

몇 달 전의 나는 앞으로 나에게 무슨 일이 일어날지 생각하고 있었다. 하지만 지금의 나는 조금 다르게 생각한다.

무엇이 기다리고 있든, 그 순간이 오면 나는 마주할 것이다.

지금 이 순간, 해는 떠오르고 있다.

그리고 나는 여기 있다.

그 빛을 바라보기 위해.

Comments

Popular Posts